On April 23, with the blessing of Primate of the Armenian Diocese of Georgia, His Grace, Fr. Bishop Vazgen Mirzakhanyan, a cross-stone was blessed during a ceremony performed by spiritual superintendent of Akhaltsikhe, Rev. Fr. Friar Hakob Sahakyan and pastor of the regions of Akhaltsikhe, Fr. Priest Torgom Vardanyan in the yard of the St. Hripsime Chapel in the Sazel village of Akhaltsikhe region.
The cross-stone was sculpted by Hamlet Manasyan, erected under the sponsorship of villager and benefactor Martiros Soghomonyan and is in memory of the Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide of 1915.
The Armenians settled in the village in 1829-30. The population of Sazel immigrated from the Hntsa village of Erzerum. The village also has a church named after St. Sarkis the Warrior and was built between the years of 1872 and 1973. The Saint Hripsime Chapel was built on 2 April 1998 by Marlen Hambardzumyan. Currently, there are about 110 families living in the village.